Re: Alternative Adhesives

One of DfE's partnership projects is with the University of Tennessee ,
Knoxville,  and the Institute for Research and Technical Assistance
(IRTA), Santa Monica,CA.  This project evaluated cleaner alternatives to
chlorinated solvent-based adhesives in the fabricated foam furniture
industry.  The draft Cleaner Technologies Substitutes Assessment (CTSA)
for this project is on the UT website. This document compares the cost,
performance, human health and environmental impacts of baseline
chlorinated solvent-based adhesives used to bond urethane foam against
other available adhesives including water-based, solvent-based and hot
melts.

The project just considers porous substrate adhesive bonding,
polyurethane foam, but  there may be application to non-porous
substrates as well.

You can link to it from the DfE website

http://www.epa.gov/dfe/projects/adhesiv/index.htm.

I hope this helps.

John Sparks
USEPA (7406M)
1200 Pennsylvania Ave, N.W.
Washington, DC 20460
(202)564-8783 desk
(202)564-8893 fax
sparks.john@epa.gov

                      David Herb
                      <herbdw@michigan.        To:       p2tech@great-lakes.net
                      gov>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Alternative Adhesives
                      owner-p2tech@grea
                      t-lakes.net

                      02/26/03 09:15 AM
                      Please respond to
                      David Herb

Dear p2tech,

I recently received the following request from our Retired Engineer
Technical Assistance Program.  Any suggestions that I can forward to our
RETAP team are greatly appreciated.  Sincerely,

David Herb
Pollution Prevention Program
MDEQ - ESSD
Lansing, Michigan
Phone: 517-241-8176

A company currently uses solvent based adhesives containing toluene,
xylene and acetone.  The company would like to switch to an adhesive
that is less toxic, flammable, or aromatic.

The adhesive is used to join synthetic rubber compounds together.
Imagine two sheets of matting, like a conveyor belt that need the two
ends lapped and glued together, and maybe seamed with another strip of
synthetic rubber.  If you know of any potential alternative adhesives or
resources for best identifying alternatives, we will include the
information in our report to the company.