Updated URL: Different Threats,Common Threads: How Plant Security Can Help Sell P2

Title: Updated URL: Different Threats, Common Threads: How Plant Security Can Help Sell P2

Assistance Providers --

In a recent P2TECH thread entitled "NPR Series on Homeland Security at Chemical Plants," I promised to post some viewgraph materials on the topic at the ChemAlliance web site.  I inadvertently included a faulty URL for this presentation.  The corrected URL is listed below.

The viewgraphs are from a presentation prepared for the National Pollution Prevention Roundtable meeting, held in Louisville, KY last week.
The presentation (abstract below) is entitled "Different Threats, Common Threads: How Plant Security Can Help Sell P2" and is online at the following URL:

http://www.chemalliance.org/presentations/p2_and_plant_security/

In response to the popular demand from our partners in the Chemical Industry, we've been following this issue at the ChemAlliance web site for a couple of years now, and will continue to run information about Security Vulnerability Assessment tools, regulatory developments, and the role that P2 (especially green chemistry, process intensification and inherently safer processing) can play in improving the security of these facilities against terrorist attack.

If your P2 or technical assistance program has training sessions, publications or other material on this issue which you'd like to bring to the attention of chemical manufacturers, please drop me an e-mail with the details, and we'll do our best to bring those resources to the attention of the industry.

Different Threats, Common Threads: How Plant Security Can Help Sell P2
RS Butner (scott.butner@pnl.gov)

Director, ChemAlliance
Presented at the NPPR Spring Meeting, April 9, 2003 -- Louisville, Kentucky

ABSTRACT:

In the aftermath of the terrorist events of 9/11/2001, many decision makers in government and industry became acutely aware of the risks that our modern technological society presents.  Probably no industry was more impacted than the chemical manufacturing industry, which is responsible for the handling and processing of thousands of toxic, flammable, and explosive materials.  "Plant Security" became the issue of the day, and continues to garner a significant amount of management attention.   The industry responded to this issue by creating a number of tools for assessing and reducing the threat posed by chemical manufacturing facilities.  Many of these tools bear a striking resemblance to pollution prevention tools.  Used effectively, this increased attention may be a powerful tool in promoting pollution prevention practices within the industry.

This presentation will present an overview of the plant security issue from the perspective of the chemical manufacturing industry, and describe current efforts within the industry, government, and the NGO community to minimize the threat of terrorist attack by addressing chemical and process risk. New trends in process technology which can minimize these risks (e.g., process intensification, microscale chemical processing, and green chemistry) will also be discussed in the context of how the plant security and pollution prevention drivers can be leveraged to spur adoption of these technologies.

Scott Butner
Director, ChemAlliance
c/o Pacific NW National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA  99352
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
Website: http://www.chemalliance.org/
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov