Re: Basic environment/industry info

I believe Portland, OR, is a good success story as well: clean up of the
Willamette River to make it a walkable and pleasant site and cleaning up
the air to make it a visitable and bikeable city. (Now if they could do
something about rain. "Rain? What rain? That's CHARM falling from the
sky.") Living in a bowl that traps bad air gives a lot of urgency and "so
what" value to cleaning up the place.

Phil Rooney
Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department
3140 N Street
Lincoln, NE 68510

(402) 441-8644

----- Forwarded by Phil J Rooney/Notes on 06/17/2003 12:10 PM -----
|---------+-------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Donald Sutherland"              |
|         |           <donaldsutherland-iso14000@worldn|
|         |           et.att.net>                      |
|         |           Sent by:                         |
|         |           owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net     |
|         |                                            |
|         |                                            |
|         |           06/17/2003 01:08 PM              |
|         |           Please respond to "Donald        |
|         |           Sutherland"                      |
|         |                                            |
|---------+-------------------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                              |
  |       To:       "Burt Hamner" <bhamner@cleanerproduction.com>                                |
  |       cc:       "P2Tech Listservice" <P2tech@great-lakes.net>                                |
  |       Subject:  Re: Basic environment/industry info                                          |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The "so what" part is tough because it usually requires a long term
perspective backed up with research.

Financially, I think the best examples of environmental resource management
(ie.air and water waste streams) are the cities of Cleveland, Baltimore,
and
New York City.

The investments in cleaner waterfronts and air have generated huge tourist
and real estate industry revenue.

I believe these cities put out an Environmental Performance Report (EPR)
which breaks down the cost benefit analysis of environmental due
dilligence.

As opposed to the Florida Keys where short term perspectives on real estate
growth without wastewater management is hurting their tourist resources.
http://sofia.usgs.gov/projects/grndwtr_flow/

The US doesn't have a uniform environmental permit and enforcement process
according to the EPA so good players investing in due dilligence are at a
competive disadvantage to those businesses avoiding those costs with no
repercusions.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21144-2003Jun5.html?nav=hptop

_tb
www.epa.gov/305b/2000report

Nearly one third of all factories, power-plants and other major sources of
air pollution in the US still do not have permits required under the Clean
Air Act, according to agency documents released today by Public Employees
for Environmental Responsibility (PEER). As a consequence, many of the
nation's worst air polluters are shielded from both regulatory control and
public scrutiny.

So maybe the question should be, without a uniformly enforced permiting
process in the US what is the financial benefit for communities,
businesses,
and industry investing in environmental management and due dilligence?

Again, Cleveland is my choice to answer that question.
Thirty years ago the Cuyuga River in Ohio was on fire and today they are
playing volleyball in front of thriving bar resturants right on those same
shores.

Best Wishes,
Donald Sutherland