From: Donald Sutherland [mailto:donaldsutherland-iso14000@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Tue 17-Jun-03 3:38 PM
To: Burt Hamner
Cc: P2Tech Listservice
Subject: Re: Basic environment/industry info

	The "so what" part is tough because it usually requires a long term
	perspective backed up with research.

	Financially, I think the best examples of environmental resource
management
	(ie.air and water waste streams) are the cities of Cleveland,
Baltimore, and
	New York City.

	The investments in cleaner waterfronts and air have generated huge
tourist
	and real estate industry revenue.

	I believe these cities put out an Environmental Performance Report
(EPR)
	which breaks down the cost benefit analysis of environmental due
dilligence.

	As opposed to the Florida Keys where short term perspectives on real
estate
	growth without wastewater management is hurting their tourist
resources.
	http://sofia.usgs.gov/projects/grndwtr_flow/

	The US doesn't have a uniform environmental permit and enforcement
process
	according to the EPA so good players investing in due dilligence are
at a
	competive disadvantage to those businesses avoiding those costs with
no
	repercusions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21144-2003Jun5.html?nav=hptop
	_tb
	www.epa.gov/305b/2000report

	Nearly one third of all factories, power-plants and other major
sources of
	air pollution in the US still do not have permits required under the
Clean
	Air Act, according to agency documents released today by Public
Employees
	for Environmental Responsibility (PEER). As a consequence, many of
the
	nation's worst air polluters are shielded from both regulatory
control and
	public scrutiny.

	So maybe the question should be, without a uniformly enforced
permiting
	process in the US what is the financial benefit for communities,
businesses,
	and industry investing in environmental management and due
dilligence?

	Again, Cleveland is my choice to answer that question.
	Thirty years ago the Cuyuga River in Ohio was on fire and today they
are
	playing volleyball in front of thriving bar resturants right on those
same
	shores.

	Best Wishes,
	Donald Sutherland