RE: Basic environment/industry info

Burt, et al.--

I'm not sure if this is the kind of stuff you're looking for.

The Chesapeake Bay Program "Bay Pollutants" page http://www.chesapeakebay.net/stressor1.htm and its subsidiary pages cover impacts and significance of Bay stressors. Click on Cause and Effect of Bay Stressors <javascript:popWindow();>  at the page for an animation.

An oldie:  Studies of the Environmental Costs of Electricity (September 1994) <../disk1/1994/9433_n.html>  from the defunct congressional Office of Technology Assessment.  OTA archive at http://www.wws.princeton.edu/~ota/     Other OTA reports on subjects ranging from smog to wetlands to invasive species (still regularly quoted) cover at least parts of the "why we care" question you pose.

Brief thing on health impacts of air pollution http://www.edugreen.teri.res.in/explore/air/health.htm
Effects of criteria air pollutants http://www.utoledo.edu/~aprg/courses/iap/text/effects/criteria_effects.html

Again, I'm not sure if this is what you're getting at..  Is your intent to find a matrix of pollutants/wastes/environmental insults and impacts, perhaps with a third matrix dimension being industries/processes/economic activities?

Rod

Rodney Sobin
Air Permitting Program Coordinator
Postal: P.O. Box 10009, Richmond, VA 23240-0009
Street:  629 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23233-2429
Tel. 804-698-4382	fax 804-698-4264  Rsobin@deq.state.va.us
DEQ Innovative Technology http://www.deq.state.va.us/innovtech
Chesapeake Bay Program Innovative Technology http://www.chesapeakebay.net/innovative.htm <http://www.chesapeakebay.net/innovative.html>
Virginia Environmental Services Network http://www.vesn.org