Re: Bleach Manufacturing

So many people just focus on the process itself and fail to look at the
myriad of supporting processes - they may create most of the waste in some
cases.  The main process (making the bleach) cannot happen if the
supporting processes are not used).  If I was this manufacturer, I would
ask about the following supporting processes:

Loss of chlorine by leaks OR excess reactant
Cleaning the reactor
Maintaining all the supporting equipment (corrosive environment)
Filling and packaging of the product containers
Technology for making smaller bubbles

There are probably twice this number.  By using the hierarchical process
mapping technique in Chapter 4 of the US EPA publication, "An
Organizational Guide to Pollution Prevention," Ms. Slocum can help this
company locate ALL the opportunities for pollution prevention (i.e.,
conserving the use of materials, water and resources AND the elimination of
all process losses - wastes).  The company must be very careful to take a
complete inventory of supporting processes and assign each to the work step
at the lowest level in the hierarchical process map.  I would guess that
they would identify 40 opportunities for pollution prevention easily if
they did this.  I suspect that many of these supporting processes are in
Ms.Hsieh's library of success stories.

Bob Pojasek