RE: P2 practices for irrigated farming?

Scott--

I suggest visiting the USDA's Natural Resources Conservation Service website at http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/
Clicking on "information for communities" and "information for farmers and ranchers" may get you pertinent information.

Also check the Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service at http://www.reeusda.gov/
The site likely has links to your state cooperative extension program.

USDA's Conservation Reserve Program and state supplements (like we have in VA) support the restoration of riparian buffers, grass filter strips, and wetlands.  Some states have loan funds or other mechanisms to subsidize or otherwise facilitate other kinds of agricultural best management practices for reducing sediment and nutrient runoff.

In addition to sediments, you may encounter runoff of excess nutrients and pesticides.  Conservation till, integrated pest management, and precision agriculture (putting water and chemical inputs only where and when needed) are among the terms you may encounter.

Rod

Rodney Sobin
Air Permitting Program Coordinator
Postal: P.O. Box 10009, Richmond, VA 23240-0009
Street:  629 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23233-2429
Tel. 804-698-4382	fax 804-698-4264  Rsobin@deq.state.va.us
DEQ Innovative Technology http://www.deq.state.va.us/innovtech
Chesapeake Bay Program Innovative Technology http://www.chesapeakebay.net/innovative.htm <http://www.chesapeakebay.net/innovative.html>
Virginia Environmental Services Network http://www.vesn.org