From: Dale - ESPI [mailto:esp@espsupport.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 11:24 AM
To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject: RE: Re: Paperless hospital?

Having been in the engineering field for longer than I sometimes want to
admit I have also seen the same ideas presented under many names and
concepts.  I have seen the need for "re-packaging" in many cases because of
the drift away from basic engineering principles to business and management
principles in industry.  Much of the re-packaging is to try to sell old
ideas [generally good old ideas] to a new generation of managers.

As far as P2 is concerned I have long believed this term, approach and
emphasis has become necessary because for one reason or another [that
discussion is for another time] engineers have drifted from the basic idea
of engineering, i.e. develop sound processes for making good consistent
quality products with the least raw material and labor.  If this basic
engineering idea is met then pollution prevention is a "natural" result.

The same idea can be expanded to offices and paperless operations and about
every other topic we have discussed over several years.  Somehow I think our
challenge is convincing management levels that sound operation and
engineering of processes and products for long term benefits is the most
economical, environmental issues being one of the justifications.

I will now get down off of my soapbox.  I find the discussions on P2Tech to
be some of the best of the list servers to which I subscribe.

Dale H. Francke, P.E.
Engineering Service Professionals, Inc.
772.486.3909    FAX  831.576.7360
dale @espsupport.com