Costs of purified water

Greetings to my colleagues

Has anyone seen or developed a "calculator" or matrix that could be used to
estimate the cost/liter of purified water?  "Purification" could range from
softening all the way to ultrapure (deionized + reverse osmosis + X) process
water.

Cost elements include:

--Input water
--Regeneration materials
--Labor for O&M
--Electricity
--Replacement membranes or other mechanical consumables
--Amortization over 5 years

Also, quality of input water would need to be factored in somewhere, as
would liters of throughput.

One calculator I found offered by a vendor shows that deionized water can
range from $.02/liter to $.50/liter, depending on hardness of input water.
However, this is not supported by our field work, which shows considerable
lower costs.  Ultrapure water in the same calculator was estimated to range
from $.30/liter to $1.00/liter, which is also not supported by our field
work.

I recognize the high number of variables, and variation, but I think a range
based on assumptions would be useful.

We are finding water and purified water to be chronically overused in many
industries (still) but lack a reliable cost estimating tool.  I will gladly
organize and post responses.

--Terry Foecke
Managing Partner
Materials Productivity LLC