Re: FW: QUESTION FROM ASKRUDY PAGE: lead-coated copper

Another source to consider is the window miniblinds.  All imported horizontal vinyl blinds are considered to contain lead.  The lead comes out as dust over time which can then get on the childs hands and ingested.  Two websites to use are:

Overall site on miniblinds - California
http://www.dhs.cahwnet.gov/deodc/childlead/html/GENmini.html
CDC Press release on miniblinds
http://www.nsc.org/ehc/nlic/blinds.htm

Maggie Fields
Pollution Prevention Field Staff
(517)  335-6250          Fax 241-3571

MDEQ - ESSD
PO Box 30242
Lansing, MI  48909

Opportunity favors the prepared mind.

>>> John Calcagni <John_Calcagni@p2pays.org> 08/13/03 01:34PM >>>
I researched a similar request six months ago. It might give you some leads
(see below).
Before jumping to the conclusion that the siding is the source of lead
exposure,  I'd check for more mundane sources of exposure such as lead paint
and lead piping.  I have trouble believing a child could ingest enough lead
directly from the siding unless it is newly installed and the child is
playing in the soil directly where the flashing was cut or rain water washes
off.  I'd look for paint chips first, then for lead pipes, especially if
this house is a remodeled old Victorian.