Re: Government Swap Shops?

Gary,

I run RENEW (www.RenewTX.org), a materials exchange established by the Texas Legislature in 1987 to promote the reuse or recycling of industrial wastes. The exchange is a marketing channel for industries, businesses, and governmental units that want to sell surplus materials, by-products, and wastes to users who will reclaim or reuse them.

Customers access the RENEW listings through our website or through our free biannual catalog.  Since the program's inception by the Texas Legislature in 1987, we have assisted in the successful exchange of 829 million pounds of material, saving participating facilities more than $10.5 million in avoided disposal costs, while helping them earn almost $7 million from the sale of materials.  RENEW currently has close to 3,000 subscribers.

If you have any questions about our program, please feel free to contact me at the number listed below.

Sarah Slocum
RENEW Coordinator
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
SBEA/Pollution Prevention and Industry Assistance Section
Phone: (512) 239-3171
Fax: (512) 239-6763
saslocum@tceq.state.tx.us

>>> Gary Miller <gmiller@wmrc.uiuc.edu> 09/02/03 09:25AM >>>
I'm looking for good examples of on-line systems for non-equipment (e.g.,
office supplies, maybe lab chemicals) materials exchanges between
government agencies or within an agency or university.  Please  send me the
URL of such systems you would recommend.  We are thinking of setting up
such a system either within our agency (Illinois Department of Natural
Resources)  or maybe statewide.

Gary D. Miller, Ph. D.
Assistant Director
Illinois Waste Management and Research Center
Department of Natural Resources
1 Hazelwood Drive
Champaign, IL  61820-7456
217/333-8942 phone