RE: Tax exemption for environmental equipment

Tammy--

It may be a bit out-of-date but back in '95 we put together a list of federal tax provisions that encourage innovative technologies.  The list is in U.S. Congress, Office of Technology Assessment, Innovation and Commercialization of Emerging Technologies ,OTA-BP-ITC-165, September 1995 on page 93.  The report is available via the OTA archives at http://www.wws.princeton.edu/~ota/   I've also appended an image of the table below but the image quality is not too good.

Many of the provisions were/are energy related.  Again, be careful because the list is old so it may be worth looking at the US Code citations to see if they're still in force.  I'm not aware of any special credit or deduction at the federal level that would apply to purchase or installation of pollution prevention processes or pollution control equipment.

In case you're interested, in Virginia there are some state tax credits and exemptions--sales tax exemption for pollution control equipment; income tax credits for recycling equipment, oil burning equipment, and for certain pollution control and disposal equipment. ... Not exactly the vanguard of P2 policy is it?
See http://www.deq.state.va.us/waste/ and click on "Tax Credit" on the lower left part of the page

I hope this is useful.

Rod

Rodney Sobin
Air Permitting Program Coordinator
Postal: P.O. Box 10009, Richmond, VA 23240-0009
Street:  629 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23233-2429
Tel. 804-698-4382	fax 804-698-4264  Rsobin@deq.state.va.us
DEQ Innovative Technology http://www.deq.state.va.us/innovtech
Chesapeake Bay Program Innovative Technology http://www.chesapeakebay.net/innovative.htm <http://www.chesapeakebay.net/innovative.html>
Virginia Environmental Services Network http://www.vesn.org