Re: Latex Paint Brush Wash

I believe what you are looking for is a way to close the loop on your cleaning process. One possible method would utilize filtration to recover the latex solids and reuse the water for brush cleaning. The paint solids could be returned for reuse by the paint manufacturer. We have seen this process sucessfully used by companies. Below are resources for exploring this alternative:
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/Publications/infosource/Pub/ici/caddet/english/R352.cfm?PrintView=N&Text=N

http://www.spintek.com/Information/case%20history%201.pdf

http://www.vsep.com/pdf/articles/Ind_Str_Mem_Fil.pdf

http://www.gewater.com/library/tp/710_The_Filtration.jsp

http://www.trionetics.com/rofilter.htm

Ron Smith
Ohio EPA, Office of Pollution Prevention
ron.smith@epa.state.oh.us
www.epa.state.oh.us/opp/

>>> "Del Mar, Ronald A" <Ronald_A_Del_Mar@RL.gov> 09/29/03 04:55PM >>>
We have a paint shop that is hooked up to a septic system.  The wash water
the painters generate when they clean paint brushes used with latex paint
cannot be discharged to the septic system because the septic system is only
permitted for non-industrial, domestic type discharges.  Short of drumming
up the latex brush wash and finding some kind of disposal facility, does
anybody have any innovative ideas for how to minimize/manage this waste
stream.  It is not hazardous waste.  We estimate that this brush wash
contains about 1 oz of paint per gallon of water.

Ron Del Mar
Fluor Hanford
Environmental Field Services
Richland, WA 99352