Re: Copy of P2 Act of 1990

There was no separate "Pollution Prevention Act of 1990" passed by Congress.  It was buried in the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990.  It took people several weeks to find it in the thick document that Congress uses to move many of its pork barrel issues.  Those of you that were around in these times remember that Congress had trouble passing this legislation.  It made it through the Senate a few times but the House resisted it.  It never went to Conference committee.  So it was interesting to see whether it was the House or Senate version that got buried in OBRA-1990.  It was intrigue like we have never seen before.  No one at EPA knew that this was happening and it took several days for it to be found.  Everyone was happy, but it did not use the word pollution prevention anywhere except in the title.  The Assistant Administrator issued a memorandum defining Pollution Prevention as Source Reduction - the term used in the "Act."  Unlike the other pork barrel issues in OBRA, I do not think any money was aloted to the implementation of this Act.... another unfunded mandate.  I think Thomas <http://thomas.loc.gov/> might be a good source for OBRA-1990 information.  Good luck.

Bob Pojasek