Re: Storage Waste From Polyester Resin

Each time the tank is emptied, it needs to be completely cleaned using
tools like giant spatulas (like scraping the batter bowl).
Unfortunately, I don't have a source of these tools,but maybe someone
else does.
Melinda Dower
N.J. Dept of Environmental Protection

>>> "Kennedy, Judith C." <jken461@ECY.WA.GOV> 10/27/03 01:11PM >>>
I would like to assist a fiberglasser to find ways to reduce the waste
from
their polyester resin bulk storage tank.  This company states the
problem
this way:
"The waste resin is a result of emptying and cleaning our bulk resin
storage
tank. This cleaning is typically done annually. The wastes result from
residual resin in the tank from the film left as the tank is
repeatedly
filled and emptied. The residual air dries or starts to gel. Also,
styrene
evaporates from the resin in the tank and tends to form stalactites on
the
inside tank roof."

Does anyone know of a reasonable way to reduce the creation of such
waste?
It is only about 2600 lbs of waste out of more than a million pounds
of
resin, but it would be great to be able to minimize its generation.

Judy Kennedy
Hazardous Waste and Toxics Reduction Program
Washington State Department of Ecology
P.O.Box 47775
Olympia, WA  98504-7775
Phone (360) 407-6385