FW: Sandpaper Waste

Dear colleagues--

I received the following query from a colleague in one of our economic development agencies.

" Sandpaper Waste:
"We have two clients... that have an accumulated landfill waste (not hazardous) of approx. 50 tons a month. Normally this waste is in strip type form but can be shredded. It is composed of paper or cloth, sand or other grit and glue. Do you know of any way to use this waste stream rather than landfilling it?"

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on the query.  (Yes, I know that the first approach should be a root cause analysis that helps identify why they have wastes in the first place and then try to find a P2 oriented solution.  Unfortunately we no longer have an on-site tech assistance capacity but we try to help as best we can.)

Regards,
Rod

Rodney Sobin
Office of Air Permit Programs (former Innovative Technology Manager)
Postal: P.O. Box 10009, Richmond, VA 23240-0009
Street:  629 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23233-2429
Tel. 804-698-4382	fax 804-698-4264  Rsobin@deq.state.va.us
DEQ Innovative Technology http://www.deq.state.va.us/innovtech
Chesapeake Bay Program Innovative Technology http://www.chesapeakebay.net/innovative.htm
Virginia Environmental Services Network http://www.vesn.org