Opportunity Deadline Nears

December 5 - abtracts due.  See http://www.p2.org/summit2004/SubmitAbstract.cfm

The committee organizing the Technical and Compliance Assistance track for the Environmental Summit next Spring is seeking your abstract submission.  We are looking for summaries (short abstracts), not full papers.  From these submissions our Committee will select speakers.  To help you we have prepared the following list of 6 possible break out sessions  (in text below and attached in Word).  Look at the topic ideas listed under each to hopefully stimulate your thinking (if you need some).   Topics are not limited to the ones we have suggested.  So go ahead and submit your ideas now.  Its easy and p[retty painless.

I think we'll all want to attend this conference.  I certainly do not want to miss it.  What a great opportunity to learn and network!  Presenting a paper helps many of us get approval for travel.  We want to see you there.

National Environmental Assistance Summit 2004
April 19-24, 2004, Baltimore, MD
Track:  Technical and Compliance Assistance: Tools & Technologies
Proposed Breakout Sessions

1.      Effective Pollution Prevention Technical Assistance Tools and Approaches (Benchmarking your TAP)?
Many technical assistance tools exist to help advance pollution prevention. But which ones are most effective? This session presents effective tools commonly used by Technical Assistance Programs (TAPs) to implement pollution prevention in industry.
Topic ideas:
       Include in the session a variety of technical assistance tools, how they are used and implemented, and what kind of results they achieve.
       Focus on specific approaches with results such as:  technology diffusion, using student interns, using retired engineers
       Present a "model" program that other TAPs can benchmark against.

2. Technologies on the Leading Edge
We call them P2 technologies, but aren't they just more efficient manufacturing technologies? Hear what's driving development and adoption of these technologies, how well they are being accepted and implemented, what they are achieving in terms of reducing environmental impact, and what their payback is.
Topic ideas:
      Present common features that new technologies have that make them P2 technologies
       Focus on technologies that reduce HAPs/VOCs prior to control
       Industry sector focus:  reduce styrene from Fiber Reinforced Plastics, reduce VOCs from surface coating, reduce lead from printed wiring board operations

3. Finding, Using, and Improving Information Resources
There is a wealth of environmental assistance-related information available today.  This session will explore strategies for effectively finding, managing, and improving the use of this information.
Topic ideas:
               Strategies and "how to" pointers for finding environmental assistance information on the Internet
               Examples of tools designed to improve access to and management of environmental assistance information
               Evaluations of the value and usability of various information resources including Web sites and other knowledge management too

4. Compliance Assistance
Recent measurement results indicate compliance assistance activities are having a positive impact on the environment. An important question to ask at this juncture is how can we build on current successes and take compliance assistance to the next level? This session will explore these and other related topics.

Topic ideas:
               Discuss what works well and what does not
               Explore ways to collaborate with other programs to extend the effectiveness of compliance assistance (e.g., with P2Rx, EPA program offices, state programs)
               Discuss how to build innovations into compliance assistance
               Present ways to better measure and report the positive impact of assistance activities

5. Innovative Technology Advancement
Many organizations exist to support the development, diffusion and funding of innovative environmental technologies. This session will
provide a forum to showcase the impacts these organizations have had on advancing state-of-the-art technologies into the marketplace.  These organizations and the technology developers that have benefited will discuss recent successfully implemented technology innovations and possible focus areas needed for future innovations.

Topic ideas:
       Case Studies or success examples from:
        -       Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program
        -       EPA's Environmental Technology Verification (ETV) Program
       University Research Centers funded by EPA's  Science to Achieve Results (STAR)
       Green chemistry
       Other technology development programs

6. Focusing P2 on Materials and Products
If a hazardous substance is never used in a product, then it is eliminated at the source and the possibility of pollution and exposure during manufacture and materials extraction, use, recycling and ultimate disposal is reduced. This focus on toxics in products has taken on increased urgency in our global economy as The European Union and multi-national corporations begin phasing out the use of some substances in products.  In order for US manufacturers to be competitive in the global marketplace, they must develop safer alternative materials and products.

Topic ideas:
       "green" materials/chemistry
       designing greener products and materials
       life cycle assessment of products and materials
       focusing P2 on products
       Designing Persistent Bioaccumulative Toxics (PBTs) out of products
       Evaluating future materials: Nanotechnology
       Other innovative environmental technologies

Technical Assistancbreakout2marketingpiece.doc