Reply: Looking for successful models of P2 in printing contracting

Burt,

Here are some suggestions:
* Specify either the offset or flexographic printing processes.
Letterpress is no longer an option and gravure uses solvent based
inks and electroplated cylinders, each of which creates many
environmental aspects and greater actual or potential pollution.
Offset has become standard technology for most publication printing;
flexo and offset are slowly crowding out gravure in packaging and
product printing.
* For offset printing, specify low VOC fountain solution (most of it
already is) and soy-based inks (most is petroleum based because soy
inks are more expensive). For flexo, specify water-based inks (most
of it already is).
* Specify that the paper has a certain minimum recycled content (10,
30 and 50% are possible specifications). Be wary of 100% recycled
because the tear strength and printability drops when the fibers are
reprocessed over and over again without adding new fibers to the pulp.
* Specify paper that also is low acid content, uses hydrogen peroxide
and or ozone as the bleaching agents (instead of sulfur and chlorine
compounds, including sulfuric and hydrochloric acid). This makes the
paper "archivable" (i.e., lasts a long time with minimal acidic
breakdown and yellowing) and it makes the papermaking process much
more sustainable with fewer environmental impacts at the mill.
* Specify the lightest weight paper that will do the job. That means
fewer trees and less energy were used to make the paper.
* Specify that your printed image state that the job was printed with
renewable soy inks, low-VOC fountain solution and recycled paper (or
whatever the combination) to gain the marketing advantage in a small,
but growing, segment of the print market. Doing so will sway certain
customers of the company for whom the printing was done to select
that company's products and services instead of a competitors.

The papermaking industry is currently spending hundreds of millions
(if not billions) of dollars to convert to sulfur and chlorine free
paper. This is happening despite a soft demand for all types of paper
(the soft market will reverse as the economy gains ground). I'm not
sure how these market forces are currently affecting prices. All
other recommendations have no negative impact on price or
availability, save one-the use of soy based inks. If specified, they
will make the print job more expensive.

I have both purchased printing services and worked in the printing
industry. I've seen this from both sides and believe this to be an
accurate representation of the situation.

Hope this is helpful, Burt.

Warren

--

Warren Weaver