RE: MON Rule

Title: RE: MON Rule

In a post to P2TECH earlier this week, Judith Wlodarczyk [jwlodarc@connstep.org] asked:
> I have a batch chemical processing client that is looking for Best
> Practices to comply with the MON rule. Can anyone direct me to any?

Judy, one good resource when dealing with the batch chemical industry is the Synthetic Organic Chemical Manufacturers Association (www.socma.com), one of the leading trade associations working in the industry (disclaimer:  SOCMA is also a strong supporter of ChemAlliance, so we're not exactly unbiased here…).

I exchanged messages with Jeff Gunnulfsen, SOCMA's Regulatory Affairs person, earlier today and he confirmed that they are developing MON Rule guidance for their membership at this very moment.  If your client is a member of SOCMA, they may be able to get in on the ground floor of developing this guidance, which I understand will have BMP's related to rule compliance (SOCMA's guidance documents tend to be fairly practically oriented).  I will send you Jeff's contact information under separate cover.

I would also be remiss if I didn't suggest that your client take a look at the Virtual Plant Tour on ChemAlliance (www.chemalliance.org) since we have a database of more than 230 BMP's and 400 P2 case studies specifically developed around chemical manufacturing.  Alas, these are not organized by regulatory act, but by unit operation, but nonetheless, this may be a very useful resource for your client.

Hope this helps

Scott Butner
Director, ChemAlliance
c/o Pacific NW National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA  99352
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
Website: http://www.chemalliance.org/
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov