From: "Butner, R Scott" <scott.butner@pnl.gov>
To: <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
Cc: "Gary Miller" <gmiller@wmrc.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 2:49 PM
Subject: RE: P2 in Paint Manufacturing

On an earlier episode of "P2TECH: Waste Scene Investigation," our good
friend from the Midwest, Gary Miller (gmiller@wmrc.uiuc.edu) asked, in
part:

> I've been looking in several places, with very little success, for
> technical information on p2 in paint manufacturing.  first, what are
the
> main p2 technologies....
> I am looking for detailed case studies showing costs of installation,
costs of
> operations, and savings both economically and with reducing wastes
> including especially VOC reductions.

to which I will reply:

Gary -- though I realize I will have my hand slapped (virtually, and
probably deservedly) by a certain Harvard faculty member and P2 legend
for not reminding you to focus on good methodology, I will nonetheless
suggest that P2 case studies, for all their shortcomings, do indeed
provide good inspiration for coming up with new solutions.

To that end, you might want to check out the Virtual Plant Tour on
ChemAlliance (http://www.chemalliance.org/Handbook/plant/index.htm).
Sadly, I can't direct you to specific URL's due to the way we designed
the plant tour (this is being fixed) but we do have more than 400 case
studies that are "visually organized" according to the part of the
process they deal with.

So to find the case studies you're interested in, click on the link to
"Equipment Cleaning" and you'll get a list of compliance issues along
with the option to view P2 case studies.  The case studies you will want
to review are all in the Equipment Cleaning section, and include:

Parr Paints (courtesy of Australian Cleaner Production Clearinghouse)
Wattyl (ibid)
PPG/Delaware (courtesy, oddly enough, of Ohio EPA)
PPG Industries (courtesy of Enviro$ense)
Reidpaints Ltd (courtesy of ICPIC)
United Coatings (courtesy of WA Dept of Ecology)

These all have some useful ideas, and some have cost data of varying
quality.  There are other paint-related case studies in the collection,
but as a favor to Bob, I've left these as an exercise for the reader,
since discovery is an important part of learning.   <grin>

Hope this helps.

SB