From: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net]On Behalf Of Gary Miller
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 12:21 PM
To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject: P2 in Paint Manufacturing

I've been looking in several places, with very little success, for
technical information on p2 in paint manufacturing.  first, what are the
main p2 technologies.  I have found some information on the use of 4
technologies
1). nitrogen blankets on fixed paint mixing tanks,
2). the use of rotary valves on bag dump stations,
3). the use of vapor and dust collection on portable paint mixing tanks, and
4). improved scheduling to reduce the number of tank rinsings required.

For each of these and any other paint manufacturing P2 technologies, I am
looking for detailed case studies showing costs of installation, costs of
operations, and savings both economically and with reducing wastes
including especially VOC reductions.

I'm surprised that I couldn't find more on this topic.  there is much more
on painting but not so much on paint making.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Gary D. Miller, Ph. D.
Assistant Director
Illinois Waste Management and Research Center
Department of Natural Resources
1 Hazelwood Drive
Champaign, IL  61820-7456
217/333-8942 phone