message to be posted on the listserver

We, at the EPA Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards, in our
ongoing efforts to assist small businesses to reduce air pollution and
potentially save significant $$, are compiling P2 opportunities for
metal (or other) cleaning processes that use solvents.  We are sure many
of you have helped or know of numerous cases where operators have
switched to less polluting cleaning processes by either eliminating the
use of solvent-based cleaning or using less polluting processes.  Often
they saved money as well.  We would like you to identify some of these
successful cases for us.  We will follow up with the willing partners to
discuss the details and how we can develop a generic, on-line calculator
that similar operations could use for their particular situations to
estimate their potential emission reductions and $$ savings.

The current Solvent Alternatives Guide (SAGE) lists alternative solvents
and describes how they could  be used to effectively perform the
operations with reduced pollution.  We hope to enhance this available
information with information from some real life situations regarding
the costs, both direct and indirect.  Savings often occur by eliminating
the need for control equipment and reducing monitoring & reporting
requirements, permitting requirements, waste disposal, etc.  If we
obtain sufficient robust data to support this effort, we would then
market to similar sources that P2 not only achieve positive
environmental results, but also that P2 pays!

With this background, we wanted to see if you can help with identifying
a few willing participants who own or operate sources where we could do
further study.  Please contact me at banker.lalit@epa.gov or
(919-541-5420) at your earliest convenience.

Recognizing that there is a variety of opinions as to what degree all
solvent users that could have eliminated solvent use have already done
so and to what degree that there are technological or other reasons for
the residual solvent use and to what degree that case studies will be
effective (i.e., just “preaching to the choir”), we are also interested
in your insights and data on what is needed to further reduce solvent
use.  For example, we are also interested in information that would help
us:
      -Identify companies (or situations) that continue to use solvent
      -Characterize residual solvent use (i.e., why are some companies
      still using solvent?)
      -Identify technology and/or information gaps
      -Develop plans to eliminate these barriers and further reduce
      solvent use
v!hםo+axjjڑ+bs^
+m+yejGS칻&~&+-ݙݢj 歕w+aiۧrzyb^nrƠx*^칸rbz*tm 歕wXלv!w