RE: Cement Kilns/Concrete batch plants (or,P2 between a rock and a hard place)

Fellow P2-TECHies --

A couple of recent P2TECH threads by Jeff Burke (jeff@p2.org) and Tammy
Allen (tallen@co.pinellas.fl.us) have asked about cement kilns and
concrete batching operations.

I was going to make a quip about these being "hard" questions, but I
thought better of it.  Sorta.

Instead, I thought I'd bring attention to work that Battelle (my
employer) did for the World Business Council on Sustainable Development
(WBCSD) on behalf of the global cement industry.  The reports are
available in PDF form from:

http://www.wbcsdcement.org/final_reports.asp

The reports here represent part of the work by major cement companies to
explore how the cement industry as a whole can evolve to assume a proper
place in a sustainable future. The study findings include a variety of
recommendations for the industry and its stakeholders for improvements
to cement production efficiency, emissions control, health and safety,
communications and a number of other issues. The intent of the study was
to share information that will help any cement company - regardless of
its size, location, or current state of progress - work constructively
toward a sustainable future.

Because this work was done for cement companies from around the world
and involved stakeholder meetings on several continents, the executive
summary is available in nine languages (English, Portuguese, Arabic,
Thai, French, Chinese, Spanish, German and Japanese).  Detailed
technical reports are also available.  For example, the "Industrial
Ecology in the Cement Industry" chapter -- my personal favorite because
I worked on it <grin> -- runs to 103 pages, for example.

For Jeff's benefit, I'd point out that there is a 48 page supplemental
report which deals specifically with the challenges faced by the Chinese
cement industry.

All of the reports can be downloaded for free.

Hope some of this helps.

SB
Scott Butner
Director, ChemAlliance
c/o Pacific NW National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA  99352
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
Website: http://www.chemalliance.org/
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov