Re: mercury disposition

The fundamental question inherent in this discussion is whether it is
appropriate for agencies seeking to reduce or eliminate use of mercury
products to tell people disposing of unwanted mercury that the most
environmentally sound disposal method involves recycling of mercury into
new mercury-containing products.  When I've had to tell residents and
businesses that the fate of the mercury they are removing is that it
will be recycled into new mercury-containing products, they have laughed
and then become discouraged as to whether their personal efforts will
have a meaningful environmental benefit.  These reactions don't help the
effort to reduce human and environmental exposures to mercury.

If the goal is to avoid use of mercury containing products, it doesn't
seem logical to encourage recycling for reuse.  It would be great to be
able to point to another environmentally sound alternative.

Kelly Moran
TDC Environmental