Re: mercury disposition

In her note, Sue raises a point that a lot of folks raise when mercury
equipment removal is introduced.   Unfortunately, a very common way that
many mercury-containing devices go out of use is breakage of the mercury
capsule.  Cleaning up the spilled mercury can cost thousands of dollars.
 Alternatively, if the mercury is not properly cleaned up (most common),
residents and workers can easily be exposed to unsafe mercury levels
(which can be especially harmful to child development).  This is why the
push is on to get the mercury out of homes and businesses BEFORE breaks
occur.  Believe me, the scientific data are clear--it is far
environmentally preferable to get the mercury out of a home or business
before the "end of life" event occurs.

Kelly Moran
TDC Environmental

P.S. A couple of interesting information sources for those wanting more
information on this topic:
--the details of a spill and proper cleanup at a hospital (including
costs) are in Chapter VII of a hospital mercury manual prepared by the
California Department of Health services (cool photos!):
http://www.hospaa.org/GuidetoMercuryAssess%20v1.11.pdf
--a nicely written set of detailed procedures on cleaning up a spill in
your home or office are on the IDEM web site:
http://www.in.gov/idem/ctap/mercury/spill.pdf