Fwd: Re: mercury disposition

Hi Guys,

For good alternative products specification information including
performance claims for digital thermometers, sphygmomanometers, calibrators
and lab chemical preservatives see http://www.sustainablehospitals.org and
the comparison tables such as
http://www.sustainablehospitals.org/HTMLSrc/IP_Merc_Tools_CompSphyg.html

Most medical professionals who make the switch are pleased with accuracy
and speed.  There are also contacts on this site to put reluctant doctors
in touch with better informed doctors.

Janet Clark
Toxics Use Reduction Institute

> [...]
 >sensitivity to mercury issues. Some will say that if the medical community
 >isn't worried about the issue, I shouldn't be either.
 >
 >I will not debate the merits of mercury thermometers vs. digital--I am not
 >a doctor and I do not play one on TV. However, the resistance of a large
 >segment of the population to accept the non-mercury alternative hurts our
 >cause. Of course, some of those professionals are also standing on the
 >hospital roof smoking away. Go figure.
 >
 >Phil Rooney
 >Public Health Educator II
 >LLCHD
 >3140 N Street
 >Lincoln, NE 68510
 >
 >(402) 441-8644
 >

 >                       Kelly
 > Moran
 >
 >                       <kmoran@tdcenviron        To:
 > p2tech@great-lakes.net
 >                       mental.com>               cc:
 >
 >                       Sent by:                  Subject:  Re: mercury
 > disposition
 >                       owner-p2tech@great
 >
 >                       -lakes.net
 >

 >                       03/09/2004
 > 04:00
 >
 >                       PM
 >
 >                       Please respond
 >
 >                       Kelly
 > Moran
 >

 >The fundamental question inherent in this discussion is whether it is
 >appropriate for agencies seeking to reduce or eliminate use of mercury
 >products to tell people disposing of unwanted mercury that the most
 >environmentally sound disposal method involves recycling of mercury into
 >new mercury-containing products.  When I've had to tell residents and
 >businesses that the fate of the mercury they are removing is that it
 >will be recycled into new mercury-containing products, they have laughed
 >and then become discouraged as to whether their personal efforts will
 >have a meaningful environmental benefit.  These reactions don't help the
 >effort to reduce human and environmental exposures to mercury.
 >
 >If the goal is to avoid use of mercury containing products, it doesn't
 >seem logical to encourage recycling for reuse.  It would be great to be
 >able to point to another environmentally sound alternative.
 >
 >Kelly Moran
 >TDC Environmental
 >
 >Sue Schauls wrote:
 >
 > >Check out the Wisconsin DNR's mercury information website - it is the best
 > >resources on the web in my opinion:
 > >http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/cea/assistance/mercury/thermostat/con
 > tractor.htm
 >

 > >Then look at the Thermostat Recycling Corporation's free service at
 > >http://www.nema.org/index_nema.cfm/664
 > >The Thermostat Recycling Corporation (TRC), a not-for-profit corporation
 > >owned by three NEMA member companies, facilitates the collection by HVAC
 > >wholesalers from contractors of all brands of used, wall-mounted
 > >mercury-switch thermostats so that the mercury can be purified for re-use.

E2-O: This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by
UML's antivirus scanning services.