From: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net]On Behalf Of Jeff Burke
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 11:20 AM
To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject: Chlorine gas at Power Plants

Please post the following:

I am seeking information on safer alternatives to chlorine gas and
anhydrous ammonia at power plants. I am looking at safer alternatives
that reduce or eliminate the potential for a sudden Bhopal type toxic
cloud, as well as routine environmental harm.

Of primary interest: power plants use chlorine gas to prevent algae and
slime in cooling towers and to prevent zebra mussels and clams in water
pipes.  Alternatives may include chlorine bleach, bromine, pulsed
electric power, UV light, and fouling release coatings.

Also: power plants use anhydrous ammonia in selective catalytic
reduction pollution equipment to control NOx emissions.  Alternatives
may include aqueous ammonia or urea, and I am interested in learning
about other technologies.

What are the major commercial technologies?
What are emerging technologies in the initial stages of
commercialization? What papers (or people) describe these various
technologies?

Jeffrey J. Burke
Executive Director
National Pollution Prevention Roundtable
11 DuPont Circle, NW; Suite 201
Washington, DC  20036
202 299-9701  PH
202 299-9704  FX
jeff@p2.org
www.p2.org
Please visit our website to learn about the National Environmental
Assistance Summit in April 2004.  www.p2.org/summit2004/