RE: Chlorine gas at Power Plants

Jeff--

I just got a call a few days ago on this subject. For utility water intake, DOD has done some demonstrations of antifouling coatings through its Environmental Security Technology Certification Program ( www.estcp.org ).  A silicone based coating was tested on utility intakes as well as boat hulls (see http://www.estcp.org/projects/pollution/199502v.cfm )  There's also an ESTCP project on an antifouling coating that still uses copper but uses microencapsulation to better control release ( http://www.estcp.org/projects/pollution/200306o.cfm ); I don't know if such a coating is appropriate for utility intakes.

Regarding alternatives to SCR for NOx abatement here are a couple of options being developed though I'm sure there are others too--
*	EnviroScrub (see www.enviroscrub.com; Steve Moss, VP of Nooter/Eriksen 636-651-1101 is a contact) has been demonstrated on slipsteams from a number of coal-fired plants for multi-pollutant removal (NOx, SO2, PM, Hg).  The technology is based on a sorbent that is captured in a baghouse, recovered, and regenerated.  Potassium nitrate and ammonium sulfate as the byproducts of NOx and SO2 removal.  There is no ammonia injection into air streams but (I'm not sure) it may be used as reagent to regenerate sorbent.  I don't know where the Hg goes.
*	ISCA Management also has a multipollutant control technology ("a gas-phase oxidation process")  for removing the same pollutants. It is supposed to yield saleable nitric and sulfuric acid (if I remember correctly) and a mercury salt for disposal or recycling. Reagents are regenerable but I don't recall what they are.  Demonstrated at bench scale with larger scale demonstrations expected. Doug Caldwell (dougcaldwell@compuserve.com ) is the principal and Ted Sears (tsears@lawbc.com 202-557-3800) represents the company.

I hope this is helpful.  Please share what you find with the list.

Regards,
Rod

Rodney Sobin
Office of Air Permit Programs
Postal: P.O. Box 10009, Richmond, VA 23240-0009
Street:  629 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23233-2429
Tel. 804-698-4382	fax 804-698-4264  Rsobin@deq.state.va.us
DEQ Air Quality http://www.deq.state.va.us/air/
DEQ Innovative Technology http://www.deq.state.va.us/innovtech
DEQ Distributed Energy Resources http://www.deq.state.va.us/innovtech/der1.html