Re: Reducing Wastewater Loading (including Phosphorus) from Egg ProcessingPlants

Cindy,
   All BOD should end up in product, with egg content ending up as
either whole egg liquid
or separate products (whites and yolks)   Shells you can send to
compost, and shouldn't end up in
water unless they have very poor drain filters.
    Without seeing the plant, I am guessing BOD comes from routine
equipment cleaning and unwanted
breakage.   On cleaning, they might try absorbent powder or towels on
accessible equipment before
rinsing.   Plant-based absorbent material should be compostable.
 Breakage could be any variety of egg
handling issues throughout the process, which might be easily solved.
   Provide more details if you'd like.  Part of the beauty in food
processing--essentially zero-waste, if humans can't eat it, some
organism can!

--
David Jaber
Natural Logic