RE: Pharmaceuticals

Thomas,

Let's start with why these drugs are becoming surplus:

1. Could be due to improper storage.  Are they being held in a dry, cool, and dark area? Are they kept in their sealed containers until needed?

2. Are they being purchased in bulk to get a good price break rather than being purchased according to need?

3. Are doctors too quick to jump on the band wagon for every new drug that comes out rather than using up existing stock?  This reminds me of the "free" sample effect.  You get a gallon of new cleaner for free, use a little bit to find out that it doesn't work, and then spend big $$ to get rid of it as waste.

4. Are they using first in, first out storage to make sure that drug stocks are not being pushed to the back of the cabinet and forgotten until they expire.

Other thoughts:

1. Can the expired drugs be extended for use?  Most drugs remain active for a long time provided they are stored properly.  The resale of expired drugs is likely to be very difficult given FDA regulations but donation for free might be possible.  One approach might be the application of Good Samaritan laws that protect people who donate food.  People didn't want to donate surplus food to shelters under the fear of lawsuit should someone get sick.  The law is designed to protect donors provided they follow some common sense measures to maintain food safety.

2. Can the hospice arrange with one or more pharmacy's a just-in-time delivery system?  This would eliminate or reduce the need for on-site storage.

3. Certain surplus drugs should be segregated and managed as hazardous waste to keep them out of the POTW or sanitary landfill.  This would include compounds that are bioaccumulative, persistent, or toxic.

Good luck, you've got quite a challenge.

Mike Callahan, PE
Jacobs Engineering
1111 S. Arroyo Parkway
Pasadena CA 91105