Closed Loop or Point of Generation Recycling of Packed BedScrubber Wastewater

I am working with a large plating shop to implement water efficiency measures.  If it is both technologically feasible and cost effective, my client would like to implement a system for recovery and reuse of wastewater discharged from seven mixed acid packed bed scrubbers - to be used as makeup water on the front end.  Please note that we are not looking to reuse treated effluent from their wastewater treatment plant; instead, we are interested in purifying/conditioning the wastewater near the point of generation and piping it back to the incoming side of the scrubber system as makeup water.

Thus, I am trying to identify any and all published information on this topic (in the form of pilot projects, research papers, case studies, etc.).   The makeup water demand for the seven mixed acid scrubbers has been averaging 40,000 gals per day; and at a full cost of $30/1,000 gallons to use and treat the water, a very strong business case can be made - if such a system is technologically feasible.

Thank you in advance for pointing me in the direction of any existing literature or published results of successful projects.

Adrienne N. Thorpe
Pollution Prevention Engineer
Pollution Prevention Assistance Division
7 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Ste 450
Atlanta, Georgia 30334-9004
404-657-7449
Adrienne_Thorpe@p2ad.org