Re: P2 Checklist(s) for Pharmaceutical Facilities

Hi Lambro,

Here are some good resopurces on the internet on the Pharmaceuticals sector from P2Gems.  I hope this is useful!

Profile of the Pharmaceutical Industry
(http://es.epa.gov/oeca/sector/#pharamin)
OECA Sector Notebook for the Pharmacutical Industry. Includes: - Introduction to the Industry - Industrial Process Description - Chemical Release and Transfer Profile - Pollution Prevention Opportunities - Summary of Applicable Federal Statutes and - Compliance and Enforcement History - Compliance Activities and Initiatives Chapter IX - Contacts/References

EPA Sector Notebooks
(http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/publications/assista
nce/sectors/notebooks/index.html
)
The EPA's Office of Compliance has developed a series of profiles or notebooks containing information on selected major industries. These notebooks, which focus on key indicators that holistically present air, water, and land pollutant release data.

And,.... from a process change perspective...

EPA, Design for Environment, Formulator Initiative
(http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/dfe/projects/formulat/index.htm)
EPA’s Design for the Environment (DfE) Program is a voluntary partnership program that works directly with industry to integrate health and environmental considerations into business decisions. A DfE partnership utilizes one or more of the following approaches: Cleaner Technologies Substitutes Assessment (CTSA), Integrated Environmental Management System (IEMS), Life-Cycle Assessment (LCA), Formulator Initiative, Best Shop Practices, Greening the Supply Chain, Other Related Tools. To date, EPA has addressed three ingredient classes: Nonionic Surfactants, Builders/Chelators, and Solvents.

Lund University, Microscale Chemistry
(http://www.orgk2.lth.se/MicroScale/MikroSkala.html)
This site was developed by the Bioorganic Chemi

(See also http://www.silvertech.com/microscale/ -- I will be sure to include this in the P2gems database next round of updates!)

Janet Clark
www.p2gems.org
TURI