RE: Preventive Maintenance For Lamps

Rick raises an interesting point.  I'd like to point out that it's not just fluorescent tubes we're talking about.  I recall an instance  many ~14 years ago when the condo manager where we stayed in Hawaii let us know that on one day of our stay  the maintenance personnel would be changing out the ceiling fan as part of a planned maintenance program for the entire complex.  Not just the lamps, but the entire fan.  He explained the rationale as the one of cost savings tied to the batch changeout at the proximate end of useful life, just as has been described for the lamps in this series of emails.

seems like there's an opportunity there somewhere.  the "embarrassment" of riches and excess continues, I guess.

Perhaps something like http://www.freecycle.org/  - as a community service would make sense?

regards,

ry

Richard Yoder, PE
Director, P2ric.org
University of Nebraska at Omaha
6001 Dodge Street, RH308
Omaha, NE 68182
vox: 402-554-6257
fax: 402-554-6260

http://www.p2ric.org/
PLEASE NOTE NEW ADDRESS & PHONE

P2RIC, the Pollution Prevention
Regional Information Center, is
a proud member of the Pollution Prevention
Resource Exchange, P2Rx.org.

"Reibstein, Rick (ENV)" <Rick.Reibstein@state.ma.us>
Sent by: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net

08/31/2004 12:32 PM

Please respond to
"Reibstein, Rick (ENV)" <Rick.Reibstein@state.ma.us>

"Gary Miller" <gmiller@wmrc.uiuc.edu>, "Illig, Richard" <rillig@state.pa.us>, "Kennedy, Judith C." <jken461@ecy.wa.gov>, <P2tech@great-lakes.net>
cc
"Althoff, David" <dalthoff@state.pa.us>
Subject
RE: Preventive Maintenance For Lamps

In all this discussion about how it can be economical to change out still-functioning bulbs, which I am sure is true, might there be something we can do with those still-functioning bulbs?  Why not store them somewhere and use them in easily-accessed locations, where there is no critical problem about a loss of function, and where this is no particular labor saving in changing them out with all the others?  I can see some of them being taken from the high ceiling you have to get out a big ladder to deal with, when it makes sense to change out everything, and then being used in the office hallway for a few more months, where it's no big deal to reach up and change them out one at a time.  Why don't we suggest that companies let employees take them home if they want?  There must be any number of old-age home options for bulbs to live out their remaining time happily.