alternative refractory binding materials

Dear P2 practitioners,

I have received a request from an individual searching for [non-toxi] alternative refractory binders.

The individual explained to me that phenol formaldehyde and coal tar pitch is used in conjunction with refractory brick to bind the brick until fusion of the refractory takes place and the binder is consumed.

This individual is concerned about off-gassing of binder materials from ladle operations (maintaining energy level to keep metal liquid for transporting from one process to another).

This individual had heard (source?) that some foundries were successfully using molasses as a binding agent.

There are several foundries in Indiana, but I am not aware of any usage of molasses as a binding agent.

Thank you for any insight and assistance that you can provide.

Mark C. Stoddard
Compliance & Technical Assistance Program
317-233-1039
http://www.state.in.us/idem/ctap
mstoddar@dem.state.in.us

"Not knowing when the dawn will