RE: Road/Bridge Construction Case Studies

Title: Message

Hello Marianne,

I don't have specific answers to your question, but did want to share problems with bridge maintenance that have occurred in Washington State.  I guess you could call it a case study of what not to do.  Sometimes we assume contractors have already integrated lead compliance into their work by now, but situations like this remind us not to forget the basics.

Contractor Fined $148,700 For Exposing Workers to Lead During Bridge Repair

http://www.sspc.org/regnews/penaltybox/WA803.html

How to Avoid Lead Poisoning in Bridge Repair Work: A Fact Sheet for Bridge Workers

While doing the Google search to find these items above, another relevant page turned up:

Bridge Lead Paint Removal Bibliography

http://iti.acns.nwu.edu/publications/bibs/bridge_lead_paint.html

Alice I. Chapman, PE
Local Hazardous Waste Management Program in King County
130 Nickerson St, Suite 100
Seattle, WA  98109-1658
http://www.govlink.org/hazwaste/

206-263-3058, phone