P2/Sustainability Highlights of Upcoming AICHE Annual Meeting (Nov7-12, 2004 Austin, TX)

Title: P2/Sustainability Highlights of Upcoming AICHE Annual Meeting (Nov 7-12, 2004 Austin, TX)

P2TECH-ies

The American Institute of Chemical Engineers Annual Meeting takes place November 7-12 at the Austin Convention Center in Austin, Texas. The conference will include 13 topical conferences and over 540 sessions, covering everything from advances in fundamentals, to the newest developments in emerging technologies including bioengineering, nanotechnology, sustainability and more. More than 4,000 engineers and scientists are expected to attend.

The early registration deadline is October 1, so I thought I'd send this out for your consideration.
AIChE has taken a leadership role in promoting sustainability for a number of years, at least within the technical community.  As a result, you'll find lots of presentations on the topic at their conferences.  This is a good opportunity to catch up on new R&D developments and on how industry perceives these developments.

I've taken the liberty of listing some relevant highlights from the meeting below.  Each of the sessions listed contains several relevant papers on the topic.

For full conference details, see http://www.aiche.org/conferences/annual/index.htm.  Browse through the technical  program to find the list of authors and paper titles for each session.

===============================
Scott Butner
Director, ChemAlliance
c/o Pacific NW National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA  99352
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
Website: http://www.chemalliance.org/
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov
===============================

T1001 1 - Sustainable Processing
T1003 2 - Sustainability Metrics and Monitoring
T1004 3 - Sustainable Energy
T1005 4 - Green Chemistry for Sustainability
T1006 5 - Industrial Ecology & Life Cycle Assessment of Sustainable Designs
T1007 6 - Environmentally Benign Manufacturing Alternatives & Innovations
T1009 7 - Principles of Sustainable Engineering
09019 393 - Process Design for Sustainability
T4001 27 - Chemicals and Materials from Renewable Feedstocks Plenary (Invited Papers)
T4007 34 - Life Cycle Analysis of Renewable Feedstock-Based Processes
T4001 27 - Chemicals and Materials from Renewable Feedstocks Plenary (Invited Papers)
T4002 28 - Chemical and Catalytic Conversions for Renewable Feedstocks
T4003 29 - Biological Conversions and Processes for Renewable Feedstocks
T4004 30 - Separation of Processing Streams Derived from Renewable Feedstocks
T4005 31 - Pretreatment of Lignocellulosic Biomass: Update on Biomass Refining CAFI Studies I
T4006 33 - Reactor Engineering for Biomass Feedstocks
T4007 34 - Life Cycle Analysis of Renewable Feedstock-Based Processes
T4008 35 - Developments in Bio-based Alternative Fuels
T4009 32 - Pretreatment of Lignocellulosic Biomass: Update on Biomass Refining CAFI Studies II
15C20 475 - Advances in Green Bioprocessing
17001 519 - Green Materials: Forest and Biobased Products - I
17002 520 - Green Materials: Forest and Biobased Products - II
17004 521 - Recycling of Forest and Biobased Products
377 - Poster Session: Chemical Engineering and the Environment
  378 - Homogeneous and Hetergeneous Atmospheric Chemistry
  379 - Greenhouse Gas Sequestration Technology I
  380 - Environmental Transport and Fate of Chemicals I
  381 - Greenhouse Gas Sequestration Technology II
  382 - Green Chemistry and Reaction Engineering
  383 - Environmental Transport and Fate of Chemicals II
  384 - Environmental Applications of Adsorption
  385 - Applications of Environmental Catalysis I
  386 - Green Engineering in the Chemical Engineering Curriculum
  387 - Advanced Computations for Environmental Applications I
  388 - Advanced Oxidation Processes in Environmental Applications I
  389 - Advanced Computations for Environmental Applications II
  390 - Advanced Oxidation Processes in Environmental Applications II
  391 - Membranes for Gas and Water Treatment Applications
  392 - Catalytic/Biocatalytic Membrane Reactors
  393 - Process Design for Sustainability
  394 - Novel Membranes and Membrane Processes for Recovery/Recycle
  395 - Fundamentals of Environmental Catalysis
  396 - Reactions In and Other Applications of Benign Solvents