RE: "Green" Solvent Cleaning

Jeff and fellow P2Techers—

To add to Bruce Taylor’s response, also consider baking soda followed by an aqueous wash (though rust inhibitor may be needed depending on what the bowls are made of).

In a previous job we did work for an Army depot that overhauls vehicle engines.  They had a chemical- (solvents) and labor-intensive (manual buffing) process to remove carbon, varnish, and rust.  Baking soda followed by power washing turned out to be the winner. (Dry ice blast was a loser in this case.) The cleaning went from something like three hours per engine block to under one, if I remember correctly.

I’ve included before and after pictures of an engine block cleaned using baking soda. (Let me know if the pictures don’t survive e-mail and I can

Regards,

Rod

Rodney Sobin

Office of Air Permit Programs

Postal: P.O. Box 10009, Richmond, VA 23240-0009

Street:  629 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23233-2429

Tel. 804-698-4382   fax 804-698-4264

rsobin@deq.virginia.gov

DEQ Air Quality http://www.deq.virginia.gov/air/

DEQ Innovative Technology http://www.deq.virginia.gov/innovtech