Re: Seeking Emissions Data/Emissions Reduction Information on Investment Casting Operations

Hi, Leif.  Are they using the grey iron foundry emission
factors from AP-42, the Gschwandtner (that's 12 letters and
two vowels) and Fairchild 1990 (updated in 1993) reference,
or something else?  Have you seen the AP-42 section on
casting steel?  It's at
http://www.epa.gov/ttn/chief/ap42/ch12/
  The gray iron foundry emission factors are supposedly
transferrable to steel foundries except for furnace
emissions, but that seems to neglect the alloy issue.  The AP-
42 section has some basic info on controls, etc.

Your steel foundry isn't going to be able to sensibly plan
for reductions if they don't have a solid idea of what their
emissions are.  A little effort here might go a long way.
Are their losses too small for a mass balance accounting to
be useful?  They must do some analysis of the scrap and they
know what they're adding and what's in their product.  They
might find out they're over-reporting.

I'm working on a project for the Great Lakes National Program
Office where I'm doing a materials accounting of the trace
flows of mercury and lead in the iron and steel industry in
the US (from extraction to disposal and everything in
between).  Anything you find out about casting emission
factors would be interesting to me, and I'd appreciate it if
you could pass it on.

It was good to see the info about RSEI.  I'm a fan.

-Kirsten

Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.
Process Profiles
P.O. Box 8264