RE: chemical-free smell-free tampons & pads?

Hi Ihab,

There are a handful of manufacturers that I am aware of that make
tampons and pads from natural, organic, and biodegradable material.
That being said, I haven't looked into their bleaching processes, if
they use any.  I'm inclined to think that given their attention to other
product specifications that some are likely unbleached.

http://www.natracare.com/englishmain.htm
http://www.organicessentials.com/products.html

7th Generation brand tampons and pads are available through Whole Foods
and other natural foods stores, or through the Harmony catalog (800)
869-3446.

For more leads on where to find more environmentally-friendly/women's
health-friendly feminine products:

http://www.spotsite.org/healthy.html

There is another alternative, although I expect that it isn't something
that every woman would be willing or interested in trying.  That being
said, it is being used and is the highest form of P2 in this
application.  The product is a reusable gum rubber cup.  It does away
with the need for tampons, and for most women they can use it with no
other protection (although, it is recommended that at first it is used
with a liner).  I have also heard that its reusability has some appeal
for its economics, particularly among low income women.  There is more
information on these products at the following websites.

http://sisterskeeper.com/jaskow/
http://www.thekeeperinc.com/

I also understand that there are reusable, washable, organic cotton pads
(see spotsite.org link above).  It's not clear to me how usable these
are though, given the need to transport them for cleaning.  Where there
is a will though, I am sure there is a way.  Again, some women must be
using them or they would not continue to be on the market.

Andy

Andy Bray
Northeast Waste Management Officials' Association (NEWMOA)
129 Portland Street, Sixth Floor
Boston, MA 02114
617-367-8558 ext. 306
http://www.newmoa.org

NEWMOA is a proud member of P2Rx - a national network of regional P2
information centers.