RE: Baghouse waste from foundry industry

Title: RE: Baghouse waste from foundry industry
Not an easy problem for sure.

1. I looked at options people were submitting through a P2 planning tool we have, and saw a general description of an option that entailed evaluating the raw materials to minimize toxic constituenets see: http://www.zerowastenetwork.org/P2Options/dsp_optionsUsers.cfm?processId=129

2. A little research turned up this article http://www.recyclingtoday.com/articles/article.asp?Id=4266&SubCatID=88&CatID=28  that discusses recovering the lead from the dust, then using the dust in bricks.

3. Similarly, this company http://cbi.dk/steel_frame1.htm#Dust%20Recycling%20System claims it can reinject the baghouse dust into the slag.

All three options would require investigation to see if the vendors claims fit his situration.  This issue is very challenging.  I visited an Armory that spent two years getting permissions through the various agencies for a dust recovery system from a painting process. A similar project in industry would probably take a minimum of a year to evaluate and implement.  But it would also probalby save them a lot of money, and vastly reduce their liability.

Thomas Vinson-Peng
Southwest Network for Zero Waste
University of Texas
10100 Burnet Rd.  CEER-R 7100