New Household Cleaners ?s

Yesterday I received a call from a reporter with the Chicago Tribune. She asked if we are doing any research on the environmental side of new household cleaning products such as one use "swifter" cloths/rags versus mops, the one use toilet bowl cleaners versus reusable brushes, dust cloths versus rags - the way we used to clean. Does anyone have data on the impact of these things on the solid waste stream, the energy tradeoffs, chemical risks, etc.? Has an LCA been undertaken? there are many new products like these coming on the market that are primarily a great convenience. Has anyone looked at the environmental/energy issues associated with these products? The Tribune is doing a story so here's a chance to get a P2 message out - if we have some good data.

Gary

Gary D. Miller, Ph. D.
Assistant Director
Illinois Waste Management and Research Center
Department of Natural Resources
1 Hazelwood Drive
Champaign, IL  61820-7456
217/333-8942 phone