Re: New Household Cleaners ?s

Hi Gary,

I hope this message finds you well.

Here's a good fact sheet on microfiber mops:
http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/WPIE/HealthCare/EPAMicroMop.pdf

BTW, that same site has several other good fact sheets on P2 for
hospitals.

Best...

Leif Magnuson
Pollution Prevention Coordinator
U.S. EPA Region IX, WST-7
75 Hawthorne St.
San Francisco, CA  94105
(415) 972-3286 Tel
(415) 947-3530 Fax
magnuson.leif@epa.gov
www.epa.gov/region09/p2

             Gary Miller
             <gmiller@wmrc.ui
             uc.edu>                                                 To
             Sent by:                 p2tech@great-lakes.net
             owner-p2tech@gre                                        cc
             at-lakes.net
                                                                Subject
                                      New Household Cleaners ?s
             03/11/2005 06:13
             AM

              Please respond
               Gary Miller
             <gmiller@wmrc.ui
                 uc.edu>

Yesterday I received a call from a reporter with the Chicago Tribune.
She
asked if we are doing any research on the environmental side of new
household cleaning products such as one use "swifter" cloths/rags versus

mops, the one use toilet bowl cleaners versus reusable brushes, dust
cloths
versus rags - the way we used to clean.  Does anyone have data on the
impact of these things on the solid waste stream, the energy tradeoffs,
chemical risks, etc.?  Has an LCA been undertaken?  there are many new
products like these coming on the market that are primarily a great
convenience.  Has anyone looked at the environmental/energy issues
associated with these products?  The Tribune is doing a story so here's
chance to get a P2 message out - if we have some good data.

Gary

Gary D. Miller, Ph. D.
Assistant Director
Illinois Waste Management and Research Center
Department of Natural Resources
1 Hazelwood Drive
Champaign, IL  61820-7456
217/333-8942 phone