RE: Coal Gasification question

I don't know very much about coal gasification, but I've noticed that
environmental groups in both Illinois and Wisconsin favor this
combustion technology over conventional pulverized coal and fluidized
bed systems.  Illinois government officials are also pursuing the
FutureGen Project.  See web links below.

I'm also aware of two projects where coal gasification systems are
being demonstrated on a commercial stage - Tampa Electric Power Station
and the Wabash River Repowering Project in Indiana.

www.southernillinoisan.com/articles/2005/03/07/opinions/guest_columns/doc422afc31a1906741615101.txt

www.clean-energy.us/news/midwest/illinois/quinn_0626.htm

http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2001/09/10/story3.html

www.tellkcplno.org/technology.html

Kevin Greene
Illinois EPA
kevin.greene@epa.state.il.us

>>> "Kevin Dick" <dick@unr.edu> 03/22/05 4:31 PM >>>
I do not.  But, I noted the quote in DOE's promotional material...

"The initiative will be a government/industry partnership to pursue an
innovative 'showcase' project focused on the design, construction and
operation of a technically cutting-edge power plant that is intended
eliminate environmental concerns associated with coal utilization."

Our power utility, Sierra Pacific Power Company, entered into a
similar
"industry/government partnership" with DOE for a coal gasification
unit
at their Tracy, Nevada plant a number of years ago and the unit has
never operated properly.  My understanding is the gasification unit is
now sitting idle.  Folks may want to count to ten before rushing in
for
the potential distribution of revenue streams.

 Also, I'm relieved to know that the only environmental concerns
associated with coal utilization are at the power plant.  I thought I
had once heard of something involving the actual mining of the coal.

On the bright side, at least this is an initiative to reduce coal
fired
power plant emissions rather than sanctioning more of them....

Kevin Dick

Business Environmental Program

NSBDC-UNR

dick@unr.edu