Re: Off on a tangent, as usual: In search of environmental management buzz phrases

is this what you are looking for?

Terms synonymous with pollution prevention include: best management practices - better performance - cleaner production - design for the environment - eco-efficiency - energy conservation - energy efficiency - green business - green productivity - increased efficiency - industrial ecology - materials efficiency - materials productivity - pollution prevention - process efficiency - process improvement - process optimization - reusability - resource efficiency - source reduction - sustainable development - toxics use reduction - TQEM - waste minimization - waste reduction - water conservation

links to many of the above terms (although I see some of them need updating) found on the P2 Topic Hub: http://www.p2ric.org/TopicHubs/subsection.cfm?hub=26&subsec=1&nav=1&CFID=258846&CFTOKEN=61680637

Product Modifications:
·        Material Substitution replaces hazardous substances with less toxic alternatives
·        Product and Packaging Redesign uses fewer parts or less material
Process Modifications
·        Efficiency Improvements allow one to perform the same task with less energy or materials by designing new or modifying existing systems.
·        Equipment Modification or Replacement allows more efficient, newer technologies to replace costlier, older equipment
·        Modification or Redesign improves materials management and work methods.
Good Operating Practices:
·        Inventory Control improves quality of input and reduces spoilage.
·        Supply Chain Management reduces waste coming into an enterprise.
·        Preventive Maintenance finds and reduces leaks and spills while prolonging equipment life.
·        Improved Housekeeping reduces opportunities of accidents and increases likelihood of finding spills.
·        Employee Training raises awareness and reinforces optimum practices.
·        Material Segregation reduces cross-contamination of resources
·        Facility Management provides savings in energy and water use..

Richard Yoder, PE
Director, P2ric.org
University of Nebraska at Omaha
6001 Dodge Street, RH308
Omaha, NE 68182
vox: 402-554-6257
fax: 402-554-6260

http://www.p2ric.org/
PLEASE NOTE NEW ADDRESS & PHONE

P2RIC, the Pollution Prevention
Regional Information Center, is
a proud member of the Pollution Prevention
Resource Exchange, P2Rx.org.

"Butner, R Scott" <scott.butner@pnl.gov>
Sent by: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net

03/23/2005 01:45 PM

Please respond to
"Butner, R Scott" <scott.butner@pnl.gov>

P2tech@great-lakes.net
cc
David Schontzler <schontz@gmail.com>
Subject
Off on a tangent, as usual: In search of environmental management buzz phrases

P2TECHies -

I am mentoring a group of Washington State University computer science students, who are developing what amounts to a "buzz index" to keep track of the rising (and waning) popularity of various environmental concepts or phrases.  This work is being done as their "capstone" design course and I hope to take the finished product and make it available at ChemAlliance sometime later this summer, but more about that later.

if you are not familiar with the idea of a "buzz index," you can visit Yahoo's version:  http://buzz.yahoo.com/overall/.  Basically, the idea is to leverage the millions of users of the internet (and some nifty little features built into the popular search engines) to determine what new concepts or phrases are swimming around in the collective brain pool of the P2 community.

In order to do this, I need to provide my students with a list of phrases/concepts (collectively referred to as "memes," borrowing the term from the evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, who used it to refer to the elemental pieces of ideas that continually combine, split, and recombine to form our culture) that they can use as seeds for this index.

I am hoping, via this e-mail, to solicit submissions of a set of such memes, along with a short definition, and a web link which does a good job of providing additional information.

For example,  in the Chemical industry, one such buzz phrase might be "Responsible Care Management System (RCMS)" which is, in essence, a marriage between the Responsible Care program and Environmental Management Systems.  A good link is the one provided by SOCMA (http://www.socma.com/ResponsibleCare/rcms.htm).

You get the idea, I hope.

Being largely immersed in information technology research problems these days, I do not have my ear to the ground as much as I once did, at least when it comes to environmental concepts.  I am hoping that my friends on P2TECH can once again come to the rescue and provide me with a few (or a few dozen) candidate phrases that you'd like to see monitored for popularity.  I won't mention any names (Bob, Cam) but I know that there are SOME denizens of this list who are ALWAYS prepared with the latest and greatest in buzz phrases, and we love them for it.

You can submit the suggestions to me in response to this note.  I will inform the list when the buzz index is online (expected early June 2005).

Scott Butner
Director, ChemAlliance

c/o Pacific NW National Laboratory

PO Box 999