Re: Off on a tangent, as usual: In search of environmental management buzz phrases

Scott, Hearing C2C as well these days (cradle to cradle).  Carolyn
Gangmark

                      Rick Yoder
                      <ryoder@mail.unom        To:       "Butner, R Scott" <scott.butner@pnl.gov>
                      aha.edu>                 cc:       P2tech@great-lakes.net, Nicole L Pape
                      Sent by:                  <npape@unmc.edu>
                      owner-p2tech@grea        Subject:  Re: Off on a tangent, as usual: In search of
                      t-lakes.net               environmental management buzz phrases

                      03/23/2005 11:58
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Rick Yoder

is this what you are looking for?

Terms synonymous with pollution prevention include: best management
practices - better performance - cleaner production - design for the
environment - eco-efficiency - energy conservation - energy efficiency -
green business - green productivity - increased efficiency - industrial
ecology - materials efficiency - materials productivity - pollution
prevention - process efficiency - process improvement - process
optimization - reusability - resource efficiency - source reduction -
sustainable development - toxics use reduction - TQEM - waste
minimization - waste reduction - water conservation

links to many of the above terms (although I see some of them need
updating) found on the P2 Topic Hub:
http://www.p2ric.org/TopicHubs/subsection.cfm?hub=26&subsec=1&nav=1&CFID=258846&CFTOKEN=61680637

Product Modifications:
·        Material Substitution replaces hazardous substances with less
toxic alternatives
·        Product and Packaging Redesign uses fewer parts or less
material
Process Modifications
·        Efficiency Improvements allow one to perform the same task with
less energy or materials by designing new or modifying existing systems.

·        Equipment Modification or Replacement allows more efficient,
newer technologies to replace costlier, older equipment
·        Modification or Redesign improves materials management and work
methods.
Good Operating Practices:
·        Inventory Control improves quality of input and reduces
spoilage.
·        Supply Chain Management reduces waste coming into an
enterprise.
·        Preventive Maintenance finds and reduces leaks and spills while
prolonging equipment life.
·        Improved Housekeeping reduces opportunities of accidents and
increases likelihood of finding spills.
·        Employee Training raises awareness and reinforces optimum
practices.
·        Material Segregation reduces cross-contamination of resources
·        Facility Management provides savings in energy and water use..

        Richard Yoder, PE (Embedded     PLEASE NOTE NEW ADDRESS & PHONE
      Director, P2ric.org image moved
   University of Nebraska to file:
                 at Omaha pic21603.gif)
 6001 Dodge Street, RH308
          Omaha, NE 68182
        vox: 402-554-6257               P2RIC, the Pollution Prevention
        fax: 402-554-6260               Regional Information Center, is
    http://www.p2ric.org/               a proud member of the Pollution
                                        Prevention
                                        Resource Exchange, P2Rx.org.

 "Butner, R Scott"
 <scott.butner@pnl.gov>
 Sent by:                                                            To
 owner-p2tech@great-lakes       P2tech@great-lakes.net
 .net                                                                cc
                                David Schontzler <schontz@gmail.com>
                                                                Subject
 03/23/2005 01:45 PM            Off on a tangent, as usual: In search
                                of environmental management buzz
                                phrases
     Please respond to
     "Butner, R Scott"
  <scott.butner@pnl.gov>

P2TECHies -

I am mentoring a group of Washington State University computer science
students, who are developing what amounts to a "buzz index" to keep
track of the rising (and waning) popularity of various environmental
concepts or phrases.  This work is being done as their "capstone" design
course and I hope to take the finished product and make it available at
ChemAlliance sometime later this summer, but more about that later.

if you are not familiar with the idea of a "buzz index," you can visit
Yahoo's version:  http://buzz.yahoo.com/overall/.  Basically, the idea
is to leverage the millions of users of the internet (and some nifty
little features built into the popular search engines) to determine what
new concepts or phrases are swimming around in the collective brain pool
of the P2 community.

In order to do this, I need to provide my students with a list of
phrases/concepts (collectively referred to as "memes," borrowing the
term from the evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, who used it to
refer to the elemental pieces of ideas that continually combine, split,
and recombine to form our culture) that they can use as seeds for this

I am hoping, via this e-mail, to solicit submissions of a set of such
memes, along with a short definition, and a web link which does a good
job of providing additional information.

For example,  in the Chemical industry, one such buzz phrase might be
"Responsible Care Management System (RCMS)" which is, in essence, a
marriage between the Responsible Care program and Environmental
Management Systems.  A good link is the one provided by SOCMA (
http://www.socma.com/ResponsibleCare/rcms.htm).

You get the idea, I hope.

Being largely immersed in information technology research problems these
days, I do not have my ear to the ground as much as I once did, at least
when it comes to environmental concepts.  I am hoping that my friends on
P2TECH can once again come to the rescue and provide me with a few (or a
few dozen) candidate phrases that you'd like to see monitored for
popularity.  I won't mention any names (Bob, Cam) but I know that there
are SOME denizens of this list who are ALWAYS prepared with the latest
and greatest in buzz phrases, and we love them for it.

You can submit the suggestions to me in response to this note.  I will
inform the list when the buzz index is online (expected early June
2005).

Scott Butner
Director, ChemAlliance
c/o Pacific NW National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA  99352
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
Website: http://www.chemalliance.org/
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov