Environmental Summit Sessions on News

(Apologies for cross-postings.)

On behalf of the Information Technology Workgroup of the National Pollution Prevention Roundtable, I would like to invite those attending the 2005 National Environmental Partnership Summit next week to participate in a session on Tuesday evening to talk about the use and distribution of news* in the assistance provider community.  The session will be from 5:00 - 6:30 pm in the Chancellor Room, L:3.

*As you know, compliance assistance, pollution prevention, and innovations programs as well as trade organizations use a variety of mechanisms to communicate with others.  Through websites, listserves, newsletters, and other outreach mechanisms they educate others about developing and promulgated rules and regulations, market their resources and services, and announce events, trainings and new initiatives.  For the sake of the discussions at this session all of these types of information can be considered news.

Agenda for Tuesday’s session:

  • Introductions
  • Roundtable report-out on how attendees make use of news on their website and through other delivery mechanisms and their future aspirations for publishing, distributing, and/or republishing news; items to cover:
    • collection policies and scope
    • data standards
    • website platforms
    • publishing in XML
    • willingness to share content
  • Open discussion of potential collaborations; how we can get from where we are to where we want to be?
  • Capture next steps

There will be representatives from P2Rx Regional Information Centers and Compliance Assistance Centers in attendance as well as representatives from the Canadian Centre for Pollution Prevention.  Anyone is welcomed to attend.  We look forward to a fruitful discussion.

In addition to Tuesday evening's session, there will be a presentation and discussion on Wednesday morning of the efforts by the P2Rx Centers and others in the technical assistance community to establish a "grass roots news network" of compliance assistance and pollution prevention organizations.  This session, titled "What Vintage is Your News Delivery?  or How I Learned to Love RSS," will be from 8:30 - 10:00 a.m. in the Regal Room.  Please join us to hear about implementing RSS (Really Simple Syndication) news feeds on your website as a means to reach out to broader audiences and to make your assistance-related news available to other assistance programs.

Andy Bray

Northeast Waste Management Officials' Association (NEWMOA)

129 Portland Street, Sixth Floor

Boston, MA 02114

617-367-8558 ext. 306

http://www.newmoa.org

NEWMOA is a proud member of P2Rx - a national network of regional P2 information centers.