Reducing Zinc Leaching from Galvanized Drums

Title: Message
Hello All,

There is a mint oil processor here that steam cleans empty galvanized drums (55 gallon) to remove residual mint oil.  The run off violates local wastewater discharge limits for zinc.  Can anyone recommend a less aggressive method that has been successfully used to to rinse such drums?

Some details:

Before we do a lot of experimenting with other rinsing methods, testing the results on the farmers, etc., I thought I'd check if any of you have dealt with galvanized drum rinsing in the past.  I checked P2 Pays and some of the other P2 databases, and haven't found anything helpful.  I'm sure glad you're all out there on this list serve!

Judy Kennedy
Hazardous Waste and Toxics Reduction Program
Washington State Department of Ecology
P.O.Box 47775
Olympia, WA  98504-7775
Phone (360) 407-6385