NPPR and sustainability

Title: Sustainability
I'm likin' Linda's approach and thoughts. It both retains our P2 "brand" AND clearly indicates its association with the broader sustainability concept. As we found out in the sustainability workgroup session (thanks again Linda) NPPR has changed its name several times so....what's the big deal.

I'm also tickled by Mr. Hamner's comments (right on!). I remember going to The Natural Step workshops and wondering why they never used the P2 term even though (at that point) that's pretty much exclusively what TNS companies were doing (don't get me wrong, I think TNS is one of the best practical methods for implementing sustainability....). It just seemed like they went out of their way to not use the words "pollution prevention". Seemed to me, and still does, that one of the problems is that "sustainability" programs often don't include/acknowledge P2's role. Burton said it well--we have to make the effort to be at the table.

(Linda, you're not really dating yourself are you? sounds lonesome....)

Kathy Barwick
Sacramento Region Pollution
    Prevention Coordinator
Dept. of Toxic Substances Control
(916) 255-6421
fax (916) 255-3595

>>> "Linda Pratt" <LPratt@sandiego.gov> 4/15/2005 1:36:21 PM >>>
National Association of State Waste Minimization Programs.

OK--I am dating myself. I think that's what the organization was named until I and a few of my local government cohorts demanded that this was NOT just for State programs. I believe the change came in 1992, or thereabouts. Many of the State reps were very closed to the idea of changing the name, and they claimed that STATE obviously included local governments. However, we wanted this organization to embrace us more definitively. There was also the shift from waste minimization to pollution prevention...  and a huge debate about what that new-fangled term all about.

I think the same is true now.

This is a dynamic organization--and one for which I have an unbelievable amount of loyalty. For more than 20 years I have learned so much from the great members of this organization, and am grateful for the long-standing friendships I have maintained. However, I ask each of you to consider if minimizing the scope of this organization is the right thing to do. We came from waste minimization--focused primarily on hazardous waste-- and we were able to reach out with pollution prevention to the water and air agencies.  We can move beyond that, too. We can embrace the future without fear of losing those great roots in our past.

My suggestion is the National Association of Sustainability and Pollution Prevention Programs. I am not supportive of "sustainable production" in the title because that is too narrow a lense in which to view our organization. Consider the fact that we have energy issues, climate protection action plans, and nonpoint source pollution of air, land and water.

Thank you for considering my comments.

The old Local Government lady,
Linda

The San Diego Sustainable Community Program
City of San Diego Environmental Services Department
http://www.sandiego.gov/environmental-services/sustainable/index.shtml

"Working together, we can make a world of difference."

Linda Giannelli Pratt, Program Manager
858-492-5088   Mail Stop  1102-A
9601 Ridgehaven Court suite 210
San Diego, CA 92123-1636

>>> "Parsloe, Rolfe P." <RPAR461@ECY.WA.GOV> 4/14/2005 7:53:32 AM >>>

is a very subjective word with many definitions.  Sooner or later the human population is going to reach a sustainable equilibrium.  The question is what will the quality of life be for the majority of people at this equilibrium.  If we continue on with a simple P2 mentality I fear the quality of life for a small minority will be high, for the vast majority low and species diversity will refer only to chickens, cows and humans.  Pollution prevention is a step in the right direction in terms of trying to set this quality high but a step in the right direction does not always result in getting you where you want to end up.  It is better to begin a trip with the end destination in mind.

If the round table was to consider renaming itself to include the "S" word it would open up a can of worms in trying to define what we mean by sustainability (a worthy can to open if you are the type of person who likes to start a trip with the destination in mind).  I am curious as how most roundtable members would define the "S" word and how they would see it implemented.  The best definition, underlying principles, and implementation scheme I've seen is "The Natural Step" because of the basic scientific principles on which it was developed and its international recognition.  When we talk about sustainability are we talking about The Natural Step or some other definition of sustainability? Sustainability as defined by The Natural Step is a detailed road map and compass that lets one set a course with the end destination in mind. If you don't know about the Natural Step consider Google searching "The Natural Step" and "four system conditions".

We don't have to change the name from NPPR, but it would be nice if most of the organization's members had an underlying system of beliefs that gave them

direction in making difficult environmental decisions.