RE: PCB Disposal

Title: Message
Improper incineration can form dioxins and furans.  See 40 CFR 761.60, TSCA PCB disposal regulations.  Unless things have changed, when I worked in this area a few years ago, any transformers with more than 50 ppm had to go to a TSCA permitted destination or some other EPA-approved treatment, and there were limitations on what you could do with less than 50 ppm.  There's marking and documentation to ensure it gets to the right place.
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net [mailto:owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Sean Skaling
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 2:47 PM
To: Ken Grimm; p2tech@great-lakes.net
Cc: Jon Waterhouse
Subject: Re: PCB Disposal

Ken,
The Yukon River Inter-Tribal Watershed Council is backhauling a wide variety of wastes (from batteries to bulldozers) from villages all along the Yukon River and its tributaries.  If the village is in the watershed, or would like to learn more about what they are doing, I suggest contacting John Waterhouse at (907) 258-3337 or jwaterhouse@yritwc.com.
Sean Skaling
--
Executive Director
Green Star®

Greetings all,
I have been contacted by someone in a small Alaskan village accessible only by boat or plane.  They have some transformers (half a dozen or less) coming out of service that contain PCB’s, between 5 and 100ppm.  The only suggestion they have received so far is incineration in a local boiler operating at 2000 degrees.  Other suggestions anyone?

Thanks very much

Ken

Ken Grimm
PPRC