RE: Water Pollution Reduced Metrics

It depends on what level of accuracy you need.

If you are trying to demonstrate the success for a success story or measure
the effectiveness of a prevention approach, you can probably adopt John's
strategy of taking an average solvent density.  Simpler is better, and frees
you and the company up to do work instead of estimate results.

It may not be 100% accurate, but other methods are very labor intensive.  A
material balance isn't that much harder, but it isn't entirely accurate
either.  A material balance would not accurately reflect the amount of
solvent previously discharged to water because you would have to account for
air emissions, solid waste disposal etc... So, you could get a factor for
each of these parameters, and then make an estimate based on the
constituents of each material, application methods, and AP42 factors (a
dubious undertaking in of itself).  Taking it to another level you could
purchase expensive sampling and monitoring equipment.  A detailed lab
sampling protocol would need to be developed to.....ARGHHHH!you don't want
to know.

Unless it is a public health or enforcement issue I think an average solvent
density should do.  These assumptions and estimates are often accepted in
permits and emissions inventories, so they should be good enough to
demonstrate the effectiveness of your program.  Just keep some kind of
record of your assumptions.

Thomas Vinson-Peng
Southwest Network for Zero Waste
University of Texas